Using clear targets, focused self-assessment and peer support to help children become better at writing.
SixTicks in Action
SixTicks is a method of marking which improves children’s writing, enhances their enthusiasm and saves teacher time.
Before a writing task, teachers create a SixTicks Success Grid.
The grid is composed of consistent headings, with each heading followed by a target personalised to suit groups of pupils according to their needs.
These six headings include the areas of grammar and punctuation and are shared with the pupils before they write, so that throughout the task the children have a consistent reference by which to self-assess and / or peer assess their own work.
Statement banks, fully aligned to the National Curriculum, are provided for teachers to select from to make the process quick and easy!
Features such as Wonky Words, Checkpoints and SixTicks Challenges, coupled with our loveable Will Done character, all help to engage and motivate learners!
More and more schools are marking writing with SixTicks Marking System!
How can SixTicks improve writing at your school?
- Using the SixTicks grid means that there is always a clear focus on objectives and desired outcomes when marking writing.
- Using SixTicks Checkpoints helps teachers to adapt lessons to suit the needs of pupils.
- SixTicks can be used with any piece of writing, whether it be in history, R.E. or any other subject or topic.
- As pupils are provided with clear success criteria through the SixTicks©grids, they are more able to self-assess and evaluate their own progress and development effectively.
- SixTicks provides a consistent, simple and effective way of marking writing, focusing on helping individuals to make progress.
The impact of SixTicks has also been recognised by Ofsted. One schools’ report recently said, “Teacher’s marking has improved greatly… which is contributing to pupils’ improved achievement.”
“I’ve found SixTicks has provided me with a much clearer focus, both in terms of planning and marking writing. I can easily monitor progress against the next steps highlighted by SixTicks. Most marking ladders I’ve used before have had too many criteria statements to be really effective but the SixTicks approach is much sharper. I love it.. and so do the children!” Teacher, Bolton
The ‘See it in Action’ video, above, shows much more in terms of how SixTicks works.
Please do contact us and let us show you how Dimensions SixTicks will improve marking writing at your school!
More Time-Saving, Quality Exciting Resources…
Marking system for Maths – a quick, simple and effective marking system for Maths and numeracy throughout the school
3D PSHE Primary Programme – ‘pick up and teach’ schemes of work with time-saving lesson plans, exciting resources and cross-curricular activities to embed PSHE through school with cohesion and progression